Mr. Ferris is a Phi Beta Kappa graduate of the University of Notre Dame, graduating with highest honors in 1973. He received his law school degree from the University of Michigan in 1976. After working as a Washtenaw County senior assistant public defender in the felony division for four years, he has been a trial lawyer in private practice since 1980.
Mr. Ferris has appeared before courts throughout the state and has tried cases for 38 years in both state and federal courts. He has argued appeals before the Michigan Court of Appeals, the Michigan Supreme Court, the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Ferris has served as president of the Criminal Defense Lawyers of Washtenaw County, and the Washtenaw Trial Lawyers Association. He has taught trial practice courses for the Michigan Institute for Continuing Education and has lectured extensively on trial skills to various legal organizations. He is a past executive board member of the Michigan Trial Lawyers Association.
Areas of Practice:
- Plaintiff's Personal Injury
- Plaintiff's Wrongful Death
- Birth Injuries
- Serious Auto Accident Cases
- 100% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
- Michigan, 1976
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 1982
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan, 1980
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1987
- The University of Michigan Law School, Ann Arbor, Michigan, 1976 - J.D.
- University of Notre Dame, 1973 - B.A.
- Honors: Summa Cum Laude
- Honors: Phi Beta Kappa
- Major: Government & International Studies
- CDAM (Criminal Defense Association of Michigan)
- ICLE (Institute for Continuing Legal Education)
- "Medical Malpractice Law" an ICLE chapter in Tort Law
Honors and Awards:
- Best Lawyers in America -- Plaintiff's Personal Injury Litigation, Non-white-collar Criminal Defense, and White-collar Criminal Defense, 1998 - Present
- Michigan Super Lawyer -- Plaintiff's Personal Injury Litigation, Plaintiff's Medical Malpractice Litigation, and Criminal Defense, 2006 - Present
- Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Michigan by the National Trial Lawyers Association
- Martindale & Hubbell, AV (Highest) - The AV Preeminent Rating is earned through a strenuous peer review rating process which is managed and monitored by the world's most trusted legal resource, Martindale-Hubbell. The AV Preeminent Rating is the highest possible rating in both legal ability and ethical standards and reflects the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and Judiciary
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, 1991 - Present
Professional Associations and Memberships:
- Michigan Trial Lawyers Association, 1995 - Past Executive Board Member
- Criminal Defense Attorneys of Michigan, 1985 - Present
- President Washtenaw Trial Lawyers Association, 1997 - 1998